Hafemeyer Law

Faribault Family Law Attorney for Unmarried Parents

In Minnesota, by law, the mother has sole legal and sole physical custody rights to any children born outside of marriage. The father has no legal custodial or visitation rights unless the mother agrees or unless the Court grants them to the father.

On the other hand, signing a Recognition of Parentage on the hospital does entitle the father to pay child support if the mother requests it or if the County moves the Court to establish it due to the mother receiving public benefits. Signing the Recognition of Parentage does not entitle the father to custody or parenting time rights.

An experienced Minnesota family law attorney can assist the father of a child born outside of marriage with obtaining custody or parenting time rights or in helping the mother of a child born outside of marriage with obtaining child support.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...

You must be logged in to post a comment.